Chemical formula: Ba (OH) 2.8H2O
International name: Barium oxydatum hydricum
CAS No: 12230-71-6
Appearance: colorless crystals
Storage: Store in a dry, well-ventilated area
Barium hydroxide (caustic barium, barium hydroxide, barium hydroxide) Ba (OH) 2 · 8H2O - colorless crystals. Barium hydroxide is readily soluble in water (3.75% anhydrous Ba (OH) 2 at 20 ° C), the solubility is increased upon heating. The solution is strongly alkaline reaction. In contact with air, it absorbs CO2 and becomes cloudy due to the formation of insoluble BaCO3. Upon drying over concentrated H2SO4 barium hydroxide easily loses 7 molecules of water of crystallization, complete dehydration is achieved only at 120-150 ° C. Melts in the water of crystallization at 78 ° C.
Barium hydroxide (hydrate, barium hydrate, barium oxide) may be obtained by reacting with barium chloride, sodium hydroxide:
BaCl2 + 2NaOH = Ba (OH) 2 + 2NaCl
Barium hydroxide (barium hydroxide, barium hydroxide) is used
• in the petroleum industry for the production of oil additives;
• in ferrous metallurgy for the synthesis of phenol formaldehyde binder, the catalyst in the chemical industry;
• in the production of batteries constant current sources;
• the preparation of a number of salts of reactive qualifications;
• To remove sulfate ions of various water-salt systems, and others.