Synonyms: Hydrogen peroxide, hydroperoxide, hydrogen dioxide, perhydrol
Chemical formula: H2O2
International name: HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
CAS No: 7722-84-1
Appearance: Clear, colorless liquid
Packing: cans, 35kg
Storage: Store in a dry, well-ventilated area
Hydrogen peroxide (hydrogen peroxide), H2O2 - the simplest representative of peroxides. Colorless liquid with a "metallic" taste infinitely soluble in water, alcohol and ether. Concentrated aqueous solutions of explosive. Hydrogen peroxide is a good solvent. Out of the water released in the form of an unstable crystalline H2O2 • 2H2O. Decomposes into oxygen and water upon heating, ultraviolet radiation, and also in the presence of transition metal ions and silver:
2N2O2 → 2H2O + O2
Hydrogen peroxide has strong oxidizing and reducing properties. It oxidizes nitrite to nitrate, iodine allocates of metal iodides, unsaturates cleaves at the double bond. Under the action of strong oxidants H2O2 exhibits reducing properties, highlighting the free oxygen.
• hydrogen peroxide are produced commercially by the reaction with organic substances, in particular, catalytic oxidation of isopropyl alcohol:
(CH3) 2CH (OH) + O2 → CH3C (O) CH3 + H2O2
Valuable byproduct of this reaction is acetone.
• In the laboratory for production of hydrogen peroxide reaction is used
BaO2 + H2SO4 → H2O2 + BaSO4
Concentration and purification of hydrogen peroxide is carried out careful distillation.
Due to its strong oxidizing properties of hydrogen peroxide 50% (hydrogen peroxide), H2O2 has been widely used in the home and in industry, where it is used, for example:
• as a bleach in the textile manufacturing and papermaking.
• as an oxidizing agent in the production of fuels,
• in analytical chemistry, medicine, hydrogen peroxide solutions are used as an antiseptic agent,
• a blowing agent in the production of porous materials,
• in disinfectants and bleaching agents,
• in agriculture in crop for seed treatment, silage, soil, in animal husbandry for use in incubators, sterilization of animals;
• in the food industry hydrogen peroxide solutions used to disinfect process equipment surfaces in direct contact with the products. Furthermore, at manufacturing of dairy products, juices, solutions of hydrogen peroxide are used for packaging and other disinfection.