Synonyms: 2-hydroxybenzoic acid, o-hydroxybenzoic acid
Chemical formula: C7H8O3
International name: SALICYLIC ACID
CAS No: 69-72-7
Appearance: white crystalline powder
Packing: bags of 25 kg
Storage: Store in a dark ventilated and dry area
Salicylic acid (2-hydroxybenzoic acid) - colorless crystals, soluble in ethanol, diethyl ether and other polar organic solvents, slightly soluble in water (1.8 g / l at 20 ° C).
As found naturally in plants in the form of derivatives - mainly in the form of methyl glycosides (in particular, salicylic acid was first isolated from the bark of willow Salix L., hence the name), the free salicylic acid along with salicylaldehyde in small amounts in essential oil extracted from the flowers of some plants.
• Salicylic acid is widely used in medicine, possessing antiseptic, keratolytic and irritant properties, is used in pharmaceuticals.
• salicylic acid derivatives are also used in medicine (sodium salicylate), its amide (salicylamide) and acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) is used as antipyretic, antirheumatic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic agents;
• Due to the antiseptic salicylic consumed in food preservation;
• Salicylic acid is used in the manufacture of azo dyes, aromatic compounds (esters of salicylic acid)
• For the colorimetric determination of Fe and Cu, to separate from the other elements of thorium.