Synonyms: 2,4-Hexadienoic Acid
Chemical formula: C6H8O2
International name: Sorbic Acid
CAS No: 110-44-1
Appearance: white powder
Packing: bags of 25 kg
Storage: Store in ventilated and dry area at a moderate temperature, away from oxidizing agents
Sorbic acid - unsaturated monobasic aliphatic carboxylic acid, colorless crystals, t mp 134 ° C, t a boiling point of 228 ° C, insoluble in water, soluble in alcohol. Sorbic acid is found in the juice of mountain ash (Sorbus aucuparia).
Sorbic acid is a natural preservative and has the following properties:
• high antimicrobial activity;
• does not alter the organoleptic properties of food products;
• no toxicity;
• does not detect carcinogenic properties;
• has a beneficial biological effect on the body (increases the immunological reactivity and detoxifying the body's ability);
• allows you to increase the shelf life of food products.
Sorbic acid used for preservation of various food products, and in organic synthesis.
Sorbic acid (E200) - a dietary supplement is used to prevent the growth of molds and preservation of soft drinks, fruit juices, baked confectionery (jellies, jams, preserves, creams), as well as caviar, cheese, smoked sausages and the production of condensed milk to prevent it from browning (prevents the development of chocolate-brown mold).
Sorbic acid is also used for processing packaging materials for foodstuffs.